Free Activation: ‘Songlines’ in 360°
Available onsite in the Sydney Opera House main box office foyer - no registration required
Presented by SBS Digital Creative Labs in association with Sydney Opera House
As ‘Songlines’ transforms the sails of the Sydney Opera House into an animated canvas from 27 May — 18 June 2016 as part of Vivid Sydney, understand Lighting the Sails like never before by stepping inside an immersive 360° virtual reality experience created by SBS and the Sydney Opera House.
Celebrating First Nations' spirituality and culture through the songlines of our land and sky, this year’s Lighting the Sails is about painting and celebrating country through a pattern of sharing systems, interconnected history lines and trade routes.
Guided by Lighting the Sails Director and Head of Indigenous Programming at Sydney Opera House Rhoda Roberts, be surrounded by the artwork by Indigenous artists Karla Dickens, Djon Mundine, Gabriella Possum Nungurrayi, Reko Rennie, Donny Woolagoodja, and the late Gulumbu Yunupingu to explore their connection to country from the East coast to the West.
Experience the cultural importantance of songlines and why ancient knowledge is at the core of Indigenous and Australian identity.
For Vivid Sydney visitors, ‘Songlines’ in 360° with Rhoda Roberts can be experienced in the Sydney Opera House Main Box Office Foyer from Saturday 28 May – Tuesday 5 June 4.30pm-8.30pm and on Monday 13 June 4.30pm-8.30pm. Head to the VR Headsets in the Foyer!
Watching a 360° video on a smartphone gives you the ability to pan around the video by moving the device itself, as if you are controlling the camera. If you get yourself a VR Headset – your experience will be even more amazing!
- Narrated by Head of Indigenous Programming at Sydney Opera House, Rhoda Roberts
- Produced in collaboration by SBS Digital Creative Labs and Sydney Opera House
- Find out more about the featured ‘Songlines’ artists
- 'Songlines' VR experience design and production by The Pulse
- Visual content and animation for the 'Songlines' projection created by Artists in Motion
- Music composed and designed by Rhoda Roberts and Damien Robinson (Wicked Beat Sound System) featuring songmen Djakapurra Munyarryun and Cecil McLeod